Friday, August 28, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer

I visited the local animal shelter for an assignment. Generally I don't consider myself much of an animal lover, though my wife would argue that giving some of the conversations I have with our dog Cooper. Nonetheless I was amazed at the number of pets that are "put down each year".

According to Cornell University, as many as 12 million cats and dogs and other pets are euthanized each year. And not because they're sick or injured. The number one reason is over population and because most Americans either don't care or unaware of the rising population among cats and dogs. The solution is simply, have your pet spayed or neutered.

By law California shelters are required to hold animals for four days before euthanizing them. With little or no space to accommodate their numbers, if no one adopts the dogs and cats, the shelters with little choice other than euthanasia.

The photo of the dog you see above was taken on Thursday August 28th.

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us"
Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

Maddi! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I Like this quote
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

-Mahatma Gandhi