Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Road That Lays Ahead...or is it Roads?





We, the Fiske-Phillips and Sforzas, spent the past weekend celebrating Jacob's 18th birthday. We left everything behind, well almost everything, and headed out to a cabin in the nearby mountain community of Wrightwood. As I watched our children, the collective children of two families, I realized they had grown and were ready to be out on their own. Ready to choose their own path, thier own road in life.

Sitting there in a cabin, surrounded by the snow and cold, fueled by coffee and introspect...I was evaluating the road we'd taken to get here and wondering about the roads the lay ahead for our children. I couldn't help but think of the Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken. It's exciting to imagine what lays ahead for each of them.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


No comments: