Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Are you Serious?


Day 35 - Photo 35. One thing I've learned, or relearned, about myself and photography during the course of this blog is...stop taking myself so seriously! I remember how much fun this (photography) can be. Voting was the most serious thing I did today. And I have high hopes for the results of today's voting.

As photographers we're continually given "conceptual" ideas and expected to make our photo the front page of a newspaper or magazine. And sometimes with only a few hours to accomplish the task. This is the serious and weighty business of deadline photography. So today I assigned myself the task of conceptualizing my blog post. "America's High Hopes for Election Day Vote" And I gave myself 15 minutes (in between everything else I'm doing) to come up with an idea, gather the material or people, shoot and edit. Serious and weighty business. What you see is the result. Pictured; my "I Voted" sticker, two OFFICIAL BALLOT receipts and cloudy/blue sky. High hopes remember? I'm not sure how many times I've stood in the middle of a newsroom defending an idea like this. Usually because editors and page designers would look at it and say. "I don't' get. But hey, we could ran some headlines across the sky!" But, this time I was standing in the corner of the newsroom defending it to myself. I replied "I don't get it. But hey, I could ran some headlines across the sky!"

Serious and weighty business?



No comments: