Wednesday, September 7, 2011

One Arm Wonders and How I Final Joined the Crew of the Enterprise

James "Scotty" Doohan, me and DeForest "Bones" Kelley, circa early 1990's.
There's a lot of life lessons to be had, even if they might come from television. I mean...come on...we all learned pretty early on never to wear red when beaming down to an alien planet!

I was flipping channels the other evening and landed on one of the original Star Trek series reruns...okay I purposely tuned in. I've always enjoyed the series. As a kid growing up in the 60's, this show completely captured my imagination. I don't believe the show shaped any decisions I've made in my life but it certainly opened my mind to the seemingly impossible. Sometimes I'd look at the show and some of the highly unbelievable plot lines and I thought...well if grown people can make a show like this...I suppose it's okay for me to engage in some daydreaming myself. It's like I'd been given permission. So I was pleasantly surprised when I opened a box of old photos and found this print. It was like discovering a couple long lost friends.

Periodically through my career I've taken the opportunity to shamelessly engage in one-arm wonders. And I'm blogging about this photo because today, some 20 years later, because dreaming is what led me to become a photographer. Dreaming is what removes barriers and frees the mind to overcome the impossible. It, dreaming, is what has allowed me to be the photographer that I am today.

I know it doesn't sound very logical...so I suppose it's a good thing Leonard Nimoy wasn't in the photo that day.


No comments: