Sunday, November 16, 2008

What Happened Here?

Day 47 - Photo 47. Do you remember Picture Day? The school would send home the memo announcing the day. Your Mom wanted to make sure you had your best clothes. You wanted to make sure you had your "coolest" clothes. Your Mom wanted to make sure your hair was combed or brushed. You want to make sure it was in your eyes. Your Mom wanted you to smile your best smile. You wanted to look sullen and apathetic, e.g., "cool." But, the last thing neither you or your Mom wanted...was for you to miss Picture Day...and they were for different reasons. Mom wanted you there to get photos to send out to the family. You wanted you there so the yearbook didn't end up replacing your photo with some dorky looking school mascot..."This Fighting Banana Slug was Absent on Picture Day" there after and ever more leaving the lasting memory of you, with your fellow students, as that of the delinquent Banana Slug.

Well, it appears that my absent for picture day has arrived. I figured there was a chance it'd happen. So here it is. I tried to find a dorky looking Banana Slug, fists clenched, brow furrowed and ready to take on the crosstown rival, the fighting Green Wave. But, thought better of it. I prefer you remember me as the Tequila Sunrise...or Sunset.

...to be continued...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would argue you didn't miss today. There's an image there, and words explaining it. Then again, I'm supposed to be a fan of that words-as-image concept, type on photos and all that crap, right?

But I digress.

Anyway, all I'm saying is... you didn't truly miss it. You still shared your slice of creativity for the day. Most bloggers would have skipped it entirely and apologized for missing it later. So, kudos to you. Persevere...

Anonymous said...

Did you go to Cal State Santa Cruz?
That's the only school I know of whose mascot is the banana slug. Some days I feel like I could easily fill it for the mascot.